By: Holly Noon, SHRM-CP
I am Holly Noon, SHRM-CP, and as a certified human resource professional, my purpose is to help job seekers navigate the job application process.
Now, you may be thinking that a resume cannot be that hard to write. For some, that is the case, but revising or creating a resume from scratch can be a daunting task for others.
Having gone through the job-hunting process several times in my career myself, I can relate to how draining it can be to figure out what goes on a resume so that you get selected out of numerous applicants.
I have researched and cultivated a successful resume writing strategy that has helped hundreds of clients make it to the next round in the application process by having a standout resume.
Below these are the five essential elements of a successful resume:
- A well-written resume- is less than two or fewer pages in length. Be concise and only provide information relevant to the position.
- Ensure your achievements highlight unique and tangible successes that emphasize your skills, talents, and leadership potential.
- Utilizing keywords from the job post– Certain employers, especially those receiving an excessive number of job applications, may employ a practice of screening applicants’ materials. This screening method or applicant tracking system typically scans applications to search for the inclusion of keywords relevant to the available position.
- Be sure to tailor your resume to the job post. Your resume is ideal for proving to a potential employer what a great fit you will be for their company. Your resume should always contain indications that you will make the company better, so ensure you provide metric-driven details.
- Your resume must paint a clear picture of you professionally and individually. A unique resume, in terms of style or format, can certainly be eye-catching and memorable. Keeping the resume professional overall makes a much better impression.
Keep these five essential elements of a resume in mind the next time you revise your resume and apply for a job. Additionally, if you need more resume tips, consider purchasing my book “How To Create Standout Resume” on my website or check out my YouTube Channel.